Pain in the ankle can occur for several reasons, such as from a traumatic injury, such as a sprain or fracture, or as the result of a condition, like arthritis. The best way to determine the cause of your ankle pain is to visit a doctor who specializes specifically in the foot and ankle.
At Orthopedic Associates in St. Louis, our podiatrist is a dedicated expert with specialized training in the injuries and conditions that impact the lower extremity or leg, including the ankle and foot. Our podiatrist, Dr. R Randal Aaranson, has years of experience and thoroughly understands the complexities and intricacies of the ankle, how it functions, and its impact on your daily life. It is with this extensive knowledge that he can accurately assess, diagnose, and treat your ankle injury or condition as well as provide the compassionate, specialized ankle care you need to get back to an active, healthy lifestyle.
Signs of an Ankle Injury or Condition
Your specific type of ankle pain or symptoms offer insights into your ankle condition. If you are experiencing any of the following, you may need to consult with an ankle expert:
- Bone or bones are protruding on the outside of the joint (malleolus)
- Foot and ankle pain that worsens when you wear shoes
- Inflammation or redness
- Joint gives out unexpectedly
- Joint is swollen or stiff and hard to move
- Outside of the ankle is painful
- Pain when you bend or flex your foot
- Shooting pain that travels up from the ankle into the lower leg
- Sports-related ankle or foot pain
If you have any of the symptoms above, your ankle specialist may diagnose you with one of these ankle or foot conditions:
- Achilles tendonitis
- Ankle deformity
- Broken ankle
- Damaged cartilage
- Lateral ligament damage
- Plantar fasciitis
- Posterior impingement
Superior Access to Exceptional Foot & Ankle Care
At Orthopedic Associates, our team of board-certified specialists and staff strive for excellence in orthopedic medicine and podiatry, offering exceptional knowledge and skill in every patient encounter. When diagnosing injuries and conditions, our doctors consider all factors and options before offering a care recommendation and are committed to attempting nonsurgical treatment options first before recommending surgery. Our foot and ankle specialist, Dr. R Randal Aaranson, will work with you to develop a custom treatment plan that specifically meets your individual needs and concerns.
However, for advanced conditions or serious injuries, ankle surgery may be the best treatment choice. If this is true for you, you can move forward in confidence knowing our dedicated ankle surgeon is board-certified and has additional specialty training in the foot and ankle and will perform the procedure with care, skill, and precision.
All along the way—from diagnosis to treatment and surgery as well as postoperative recovery—we are here for you. Our additional services, including digital X-ray, MRI, durable medical equipment (DME), physical therapy, and our surgery center, are all conveniently accessible to you.
We also have the following locations available to you in St. Louis as well as throughout Missouri and Illinois:
- Main Office – Old Des Peres Road, St. Louis, Missouri
- Parkland Health Center – Bonne Terre, Missouri
- Madison Medical Center, Outpatient Clinic – Fredericktown, Missouri
- Sunset Hills Healthcare – St. Louis, Missouri
- Southwest Medical Center – St. Louis, Missouri
- Eleven South Professional Building – Columbia, Illinois
- Red Bud Regional Hospital – Red Bud, Illinois
To schedule an appointment with our ankle expert, please call (314) 569-0616 or use the button below.